Discussion Archive: June 2011

15 Jun 2011 - 3:49am
fataha

Exhibition: Course Results of Interactive Technology Design

Wednesday June 29th from 14:00-18:00, the Faculty of Industrial Design invites you to browse and interact with 19 interactive installations developed by students during the Interactive Technology Design course. The exhibition is setup in an open house style event so you can drop in any time between 14:00 and 18:00.

14 Jun 2011 - 2:32pm
3 years ago
4 replies
kojo

AND OR NOT visualizations

Guys any good examples that visualize many combined options with multiple use of AND OR NOT...

thanks in advance, or if there is a standard control for that, I tried transferable list boxes, and rows in a grid with AND OR  NOT as a column, not good enough...I also tried multiple combo-boxes...I need a neat intuitive solution, does such thing exist?

14 Jun 2011 - 12:11pm
3 years ago
6 replies
smitty777

Properties Browser

Hi IxDAers, 

I'm developing a screen which has a large number of attributes for an object.  Think of Dreamweaver, where you can select and change any number of object or page properties on the right hand side: 

http://nerdbusiness.com/articles/adobe-cs4-preview/dreamweaver-cs4_02_split.png

14 Jun 2011 - 12:05pm
Max L. Wilson

euroHCIR2011 - participate/schedule

This message has been cross-posted - but do pass on!

euroHCIR2011 - The 1st European Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval

Newcastle, UK - July 4th 2011 - at HCI2011

We'd like to invite participation in the euroHCIR2011 Workshop, sponsored by LexisNexis.

The event is for people who are focused on UX, Usability, User Interface Design with Information Retrieval Systems.

IxDA Interactio...

Interaction Awards - Why Are There Fees for Entry?

Since the launch of the Interaction Awards last week, a few people have asked us why there are fees for entry, and where all of that money goes. The answer is simple: the entry fees are in place to fund the Awards program itself, and to create a new platform within IxDA for recognizing tangible examples of design excellence.

The scope of the Interaction Awards is ambitious. The impact of our growing field is wide and diverse, and it is our mission to reach beyond our community to demonstrate the value of interaction design within the global economy. Creating this conversation on an international scale requires commitment, logistics, infrastructure, and, well, travel. It’s these things, and hopefully a lot more, that your entry fees will support.

14 Jun 2011 - 10:22am
3 years ago
2 replies
Shilpi Joshi

Are rotating banners still in trend?

Hello all, 

We are looking to revamp our website and make it more structured and informative, yet visually appealing to our guests. One suggestion that came up was the use of 'rotating banner' on our home page with some key information and links to our internal web pages.

We thus wanted to get an idea from the design community whether rotating banners are still in trend to use on the homepae of a website, as they were riding high couple of years back.

And, do they still have the same appeal to and draw from viewers?

14 Jun 2011 - 10:01am
+1
Paul J. Sherman

Your tool recommendations: research & design documentation

Having recently moved back into a research and design management role, I'd like to ask the group for recommendations on how to easily manage design research and design documentation. 

To my knowledge there is no "one tool to rule them all." In the past I've typically cobbled together solutions from piece parts; e.g., Basecamp, Jira/Confluence, Lighthouse, etc. for requirements and design documentation; Pivotal Tracker or Jira for work item and issue tracking. 

13 Jun 2011 - 9:56am
3 years ago
4 replies
AndrewHInton

The "gear" icon: is it a convention yet?

So we've all encountered the little "gear" icon for utility / settings / preferences / etc
Are we at a point where this is pretty universally recognizable without additional perceived affordance or labeling? 
That is, have any of you noticed people not understanding what it means in recent testing/feedback from users? 

--
andrew hinton / inkblurt.com

12 Jun 2011 - 7:04pm
+1
3 years ago
1 reply
Benn

Applying IxD in CMU, what kind of portfolio do they expect?

Hi guys,

I'm going to apply for an interaction design graduate program. CMU's IxD is my first choice.

I'm working as a web designer for almost 1 year after my Bachelor's degree in communication arts. I assume programs like this may focus more on your portfolio rather than your score.

Anyone here familiar with CMU's IxD? What kind of portfolio do they expect to see? Does it have to be related to interaction design somehow or just things you have done?

Any suggestion would be great!

I appreciate your help!!

11 Jun 2011 - 10:50am
+1
Terms:
burlapdesign

Re: Color and Usability / User Experience

While I'm sure someone has researched how a particular shade of red improves conversions I believe that contrast and understanding how certain hues recede vs 'pop ', emotions of color etc. Smashing Magazine has a good color theory article that I will link to later.

On Jun 10, 2011 4:54 PM, "Karen Lindemann" wrote:
I'm looking for a study or guidelines about how to use color to enhance the usability of a website or an application.