Discussion Archive: June 2011

6 Jun 2011 - 8:28pm
Joe Sokohl

Patterns and examples for mixed-media galleries

Hi all,

Looking for examples of good ways to include ways to display different types of media. I'm thinking of a repository that shows podcasts, video, downloadable documents, and perhaps other media types. 

6 Jun 2011 - 6:43pm
3 years ago
47 replies
Reza

can an IPAD UI function as a desktop UI

Hi all, I'm a UI asked by a client to create a UI for Ipad and a Web App with the same functionality and workflows. I've been asked by engineers to keep the UI the same on the ipad and desktop web app. I'm wondering if anyone knows of research on this subject, can an Ipad UI function just as well as a desktop UI? Or is it important to have two UI's one for the ipad, and the other for the desktop app. Also more generally the number of devices accessing apps, clouds, web so in will certainly skyrocket.

6 Jun 2011 - 1:26pm
Terms:
swyner

Contest-based user research?

Hi all,

I'm a UX research intern at TechSmith (makers of Camtasia, SnagIt, and Jing), and I've been working on more research on screencast viewers and consumers and their experiences, as opposed to just on our users, who generally create the content. To try and research common negatives experiences within screencasts, I've been trying something new and worked on the TechSmith Terrible Screencast Contest (http://visuallounge.techsmith.com/2011/06/techsmith_terrible_screencast.html).

6 Jun 2011 - 1:16pm
+1
3 years ago
25 replies
David B. Rondeau

Do we need to understand the history of Interaction Design?

I recently attended the CHI2011 conference and one thing stood out for me. It was Bill Buxton's talk on "Creativity and History" and the Buxton Collection. For anyone who doesn't know, the Buxton Collection is Bill Buxton's personal collection of digital technology, collected over the past 30 years, which was on display at the conference.

6 Jun 2011 - 10:20am
+3
3 years ago
2 replies
IxDA Interactio...

Welcome to the Interaction Awards!

We’re very excited to open the inaugural Interaction Awards for entry, as announced in Fast Company this morning. We created the awards to celebrate excellence in our field, and to encourage the global interaction design community to share our work. The 2012 Awards will start a dialogue, inspire designers and businesses alike, raise the profile of interaction design, and demonstrate its value in the global economy. Any projects completed within the past two years are eligible, so please submit your past projects and tell all of your friends. Reflecting the diversity of the global IxDA community, entry fees are tiered according to your geography and professional status. Prizes will be awarded to professionals and students alike, for production and concept work within six interaction categories.

6 Jun 2011 - 4:16am
3 years ago
4 replies
Terms:
jaern

Model-based eye-tracking simulation

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this website here: eyequant.com

They claim to offer eye-tracking results without doing actual eye-tracking. Based on actual eye-tracking studies, they have supposedly developed a model of human attention that can be used to predict the attentional effect of a website and its parts. I havn't tried it, but apparently you upload a screenshot of your website and it gives you back a heatmap and some other visualizations of the results.

3 Jun 2011 - 9:22am
3 years ago
1 reply
tstutts

Seeking UI/UX partner in crime. Any takers?

Hi List,

I currently lead up a small design firm of sorts. We are positioned in a unique space, in that we perform the following three functions: - UI/ UX design for mobile, web and desktop applications - Creative coding for commercials, print and installations (specifically using OpenFrameworks and Processing) - Sound design for a variety of media

I'd contemplated phasing one or two of these areas out for the sake of specialization, but work continues to come in for each.

2 Jun 2011 - 2:18pm
3 years ago
4 replies
Leonardo Parra

Bogota, Colombia. Local Leader.

Dear IxDA community,

Bogota is currently in need of a very active and dynamic local leader; the local group´s been quiet for a while, but it´s now time to bring it back.

Drop me a line if you´re interested.

*You know what? Let´s meet up and make it happen.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards, 

Leonardo Parra M.F.A.
Profesor Asistente
Departamento de Diseño
Universidad de los Andes

2 Jun 2011 - 2:16pm
3 years ago
5 replies
DrWex

Tom Hulme interview

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/01/interview-tom-hulme.html

Boingboing interviewed Tom Hulme of IDEO on design, process, and self-description. Good reading.