Discussion Archive: July 2011

22 Jul 2011 - 6:14pm
2 years ago
3 replies
MTAG88

Interested in being a User Interface Designer

I am a young woman who recently completed her Bachelor's in Information Science at Pitt. I am interested in design, particularly how it relates to human-computer interaction. I would want to do an entry-level position because my experience is good, but limited. I would even take on an internship if possible.  Do you have any advice?

22 Jul 2011 - 10:38am
rwdunn

Anyone use NVivo for qualitative data analysis?

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience working with NVivo to analize and extract data related to qualitative research of user experiences. My company is in the process of forming a dedicated UX research department and I'm curious if this is something we should really be planning for or if traditional methods and techniques are still preferred over software that appears to "automate" many of the nuances of traditional methods. If you can sight examples of projects where you've found this helpful, that would be great!

22 Jul 2011 - 3:18am
3 years ago
7 replies
Terms:
gdeniaud

Best numeric fields input validation strategy

Hi All,

I'm working on a desktop application for retouching images. So, there are numerous numeric fields to enter parameters like the exposure value or the color temperature.

We have two options when the user enters a digit in a numeric field:

21 Jul 2011 - 9:42pm
3 years ago
5 replies
Sachendra

How should we design apps differently for tablets and smartphones?

Tablets are larger and a better form factor for browsing and reading while smartphones can best handle immediate needs and entertainment. That said, how different should an app be that is being deployed on both platforms and what guidelines should be followed?

20 Jul 2011 - 12:12pm
benjabennett

Compound Column Sorting

Does anyone know any good examples of interfaces that use sorting with compound data?

Are there standards of sorting ?

19 Jul 2011 - 11:15am
3 years ago
1 reply
Jonathan Arnold

6 truths I learned from creating a web app

Untitled Document

p, ul, ol { font-family: verdana, helvetica, arial, san-serif; color:#505050; font-size:14px; line-height:20px; } li { margin-bottom:10px; } h2 { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight:bold; font-size:22px; color:#606060; } h3 { font-family:Arial, Helve

19 Jul 2011 - 10:00am
lijahogan

Setting Expectations for Content Requiring Registration

Good morning,

Has anyone done any A/B testing around whether or not providing more information upfront about documents that require registration before download entices users more effectively?  For example, have you seen users being more or less willing to providing contact information based on how much information is provided about the document, e.g. document size and "teaser" content like an executive summary or abstract and file size, in the case of a PDF?

Thanks!

Lija Hogan

18 Jul 2011 - 6:09pm
3 years ago
20 replies
Chris Bobbett

Realsitic Data in Wireframes/Prototypes/Mockups?

Hi All,

I have been thinking lately about the process for creating mockups and in particular, the data they display. I'm curious about whether the data should be more realistic or completely generic. Is one more effective than the other during client/stakeholders reviews? And so on...

I know you are all busy with work and life but if you can spare a moment and share your feedback regarding the questions below, I would be very appreciative.

18 Jul 2011 - 1:32pm
3 years ago
2 replies
Erik Stolterman

the questionable death of design thinking

Hi all,

I have just published a blogpost related to the ongoing discussion if
"design thinking" is dead...

http://transground.blogspot.com/2011/07/death-of-design-thinking.html

Best
Erik
---------------------------------------------------
Erik Stolterman
http://transground.blogspot.com/

18 Jul 2011 - 11:24am
3 years ago
7 replies
Marjorie Kaye

Searching nested/hierarchical data sets

Hi Folks,

I'm working on a web-based business tool for which we need to be able to search for destination folders in a tangled labrynthine mess of data with many duplicate folder and file names.  Because of legacy issues, the relevance of similarly named folders will depend on their parent(s). Seeing names of Parent folders on multiple levels should also help some users refine their search terms to locate the desired destination folder.

Any suggestions for elegant examples of this, other than OS finder/explorer interfaces?  

Thanks,

-Marjorie