Discussion Archive: August 2011

11 Aug 2011 - 4:39am
alexamatthews

Booking Engines

I am looking for some really interesting examples of booking engines or selection processes that create a cool, slick user experience. So far I've come up with booking an appointment at an Apple Genius bar and Honda test drive booking. Does anyone have any others?

Other interesting examples of how to display results / quite a lot of different information at once would also be welcome.

10 Aug 2011 - 11:38pm
3 years ago
1 reply
amit2403

iPad UI Design

Hi,

I am currently working on an iPad UI for a charting application. It involves various options of displaying and playing around with Charts. A good example would be:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXDJX:.DJI,INDEXSP:.INX,INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC

I thought, would try collaborating with some designers who have already worked in iPad or other tablet related apps who can guide me in the right direction in terms of how to better create a user-experience on the iPad.

10 Aug 2011 - 1:51pm
3 years ago
2 replies
Moses Wolfenstein

Some (possibly) contentious thoughts from Don Norman

I just came across this article by Don Norman from last summer.*
http://www.core77.com/blog/columns/design_thinking_a_useful_myth_16790.asp

I'm curious what the folks here in the IxDA community think about it.
-Moses

10 Aug 2011 - 7:45am
+1
gabrielgm

Website Headers or Branded areas

Hello Everybody,

Does anyone know a best practices or rules to follow for the website headers (top element), sort of max height size, amount of elements, etc?

Thanks in advance

9 Aug 2011 - 3:54pm
+1
aronoff

At a Crossroads: UPDATE

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may remember my post from a couple months ago, wailing and gnashing my teeth about frustration working for a large corporation and the level of bureacracy that is needed to make things.

http://www.ixda.org/node/30358

I've had a change in attitude, and instead of defining things as "problems", like zero collaboration, bureacracy, etc. I've slowed down and started to look at things as "projects" and then defining them into potential solutions.

9 Aug 2011 - 3:28pm
3 years ago
3 replies
aronoff

Mobile Button Shapes for Main Navigation? Circles vs. Round Cornered Squares?

Hi Everyone,

I'm designing a mobile application and M site. We currently are using round circle iconography to denote specific user interactions and sections of the site. I'd like to reuse these icons visually, but then have them as rounded corner rectangle icons. My gut reaction and decision for this is that it fits more with the icon paradigm (for the most part) with iphone and Android apps and devices.

This being said, I need some research to back up my claim. A colleague is wondering how I came to my initial decision and i need research to point to.

9 Aug 2011 - 9:04am
3 years ago
4 replies
Paul Pinkney

Ultra-large "War Room" Displays

We've had some great discussions around small, mobile displays, so how about the opposite?  I've had experience designing for large "war room" displays, but wanted to know if there was any other research around.  For example, my experience was that dark displays with light text and graphics work best as a rule of thumb, and so on.  Any other resources?  Thanks in advance.

9 Aug 2011 - 5:09am
3 years ago
1 reply
Corax
8 Aug 2011 - 7:46am
3 years ago
1 reply
William Hudson
7 Aug 2011 - 8:58am
wramirez09

RE: [IxDA] Most efficient tools for a large UX production environment

mocking bird is cool no html generator -----Original Message----- Date: Sunday, August 07, 2011 6:38:55 am To: wramirez1980@gmail.com From: "Neil Simpson" Subject: [IxDA] Most efficient tools for a large UX production environment

I'm currently reviewing best/most efficient tools for a large UX production
environment and would be interested in hearing experiences from other UXers
who have been down this well worn path before.

The ideal solution for me would be one single tool that: