Discussion Archive: September 2011

14 Sep 2011 - 1:38pm
lijahogan

Search History

I have recently noticed that more sites and search engines (notably, Bing) are exposing Recent Searches - that is, the most recent keyword phrases used are presented on Results pages.  It would seem to me that a best practice should be that users should have the ability to clear the history, or opt-out of having that information saved and presented by default.

Is there a general consensus out there about this?  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Lija

14 Sep 2011 - 1:25pm
Austin Govella

[Local] Reminder: Houston UX meet-n-greet TONIGHT, Wed, Sep 14

Don't forget. We're kicking off the IxDA local group in Houston tonight with a UX meet-n-greet at the Nouveau Antique Art Bar.

Full info is on the website:
* http://houstonexperiencedesign.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/wed-sep-14-back-to-school-meet-n-greet/

We'll have free drinks, book giveaways courtesy of Rosenfeld Media, and a jolly good time. Come out and meet your fellow locals.

We'll be there from 5:30 to about 8:00pm, so stop by after work.

-- 
Austin Govella
User Experience

14 Sep 2011 - 11:00am
+1
3 years ago
1 reply
DrWex

Blind man vs ATM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dQuAGJakHM&feature=player_embedded#!

Tommy Edison is a film critic who happens to be blind. He put together this little YouTube to show the problems he has with operating an ATM. I don't do much work with accessibility for blind or other people needing alternative access so it was pretty enlightening for me.

14 Sep 2011 - 10:35am
+1
mimojito

Examples of Solution Selling

Zappos has a great example of a Solution Selling module that they call "Shop by" which allows their customers to shop for a specific "complete look" based on their fashion style.  Crate and Barrel has a similar module when you get to the product level.  What other examples of Solution Selling modules are out there?

14 Sep 2011 - 10:05am
Terms:
Florian Fiechter

Adding amount into basket from category page.

I run into a debate with some stakeholders today about the possibility adding "quantity" and "add to cart button" on a section/category  page for an e-commerce site selling consumer electronic.

However, I could not declare any data about my assumption:

IxDA Interactio...

Interaction Awards Profiles Younghee Jung

For the second profile in our series on the Interaction Awards Jury, we've talked to Design Researcher Younghee Jung. Younghee is leading the NokiaResearch Center in Bangalore, India. Her research centers on the social potential of mobile technology and behavioral change. Over the last decade, she has managed and created interdisciplinary teams of insight, design and innovation in Helsinki, Tokyo and London. She earned a B.S. in Industrial Design at KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) and M.A. in Interaction Design at Carnegie Mellon University as Fulbright Scholar. Her current work focuses on basic enablers of mobile technology use for growth markets, suitable for the local culture and its potentials.

We asked Younghee two questions, and here's what she had to say:

13 Sep 2011 - 7:30pm
2 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
alotofmath

Newbie Blues

Hi,

I kind of equate my life to a series on This old house... I'm doing a bit of a makeover now.

I have a graduate degree in Library Science and Information Systems, and have started to take courses in an Interactive design and media program, at the school I work at as a systems librarian.

I've been taking classes in design and media for about a year. I would really like to transition out of library science and into the field of user experience.

13 Sep 2011 - 10:19am
2 years ago
2 replies
Sachin Ghodke

Bold Highlights in a letter emailer. How effective are they?

I am working on an emailer in a letter format to be sent to different promotional industry clients. 

I have two options to format the letter in.

1) Highlight certain salient points within the letter.
These are many and the letter looks like its a mistake and it gets confusing to understand if the letter is in bold or in regular font.

2) Without highlighting the important points in the letter. 
This one reads as a simple letter without formatted text.

13 Sep 2011 - 9:14am
Terms:
William Hudson

CHI 2012 Facebook Event

Publicity isn’t really my role for the CHI 2012 conference in Austin next May, but we’ve set up a Facebook event for the first time and I thought IxDAers might like to know about it. You can see who’s said they’re coming, invite your friends, and as soon as a minor technical hitch is sorted out, you’ll be able to see a geographical breakdown of attendees on the CHI 2012 web site.

IxDA Interactio...

Interaction Awards Profiles Jonas Löwgren

The Interaction Awards is honored to have the support and participation of an international panel of expert jurors, and we'd like to introduce them to you. For the first in our series of jury profiles, we spoke with Interaction|12 Keynote speaker Jonas Löwgren.

Jonas Löwgren is professor of interaction design and co-founder at the School of Arts and Communication, Malmö University, Sweden. He specializes in cross-media products, interactive visualization and the design theory of digital materials. Jonas has taught interaction design in university courses and in companies since the early 1990’s and initiated the influential two-year master’s program in interaction design at Malmö University in 1998. He has published some 50 peer-reviewed scientific papers and three books, including Thoughtful Interaction Design. His design portfolio comprises some 50 projects from explorative research and professional contexts.

We asked Jonas two questions and here's what he had to say: