Discussion Archive: September 2011

trevvg

Get your FREE copy of Chapter 1 of "Design for Emotion"

Download Chapter 1 of 'Design for Emotion" FREE by signing up or Paying with a Tweet.  http://bit.ly/e5LHxq

12 Sep 2011 - 11:09am
2 years ago
5 replies
Viraj

Is the IXDA mentoring program still active?

Is the IXDA mentoring program still active? If not, can we revive it? There has been a lot of talk on various UX related forums including IXDA about new graduates having a tough time getting into industry. The mentoring program may help them.

12 Sep 2011 - 8:54am
2 years ago
4 replies
Mathew Sanders

Boston Globe - responsive web redesign

The Boston Globe relaunched their website today - they are the first major website (that I'm aware of) to use responsive web design techniques. I'm pretty impressed and thought the list should check it out.

12 Sep 2011 - 7:09am
NNgcaremgr

Call for Entries - Nielsen Norman Group Design Competition: Application Design Showcase

Nielsen Norman Group Design Competition: Application Design Showcase

CALL FOR ENTRIES

Think you have a great application, or a particularly compelling feature? Enter the Nielsen Norman Group’s Application Design Showcase competition that will recognize the world's best applications.

10 Sep 2011 - 4:06pm
2 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
AnUnimaginaryKid

Insight into design programs at IIT

Hi everyone,

I've been looking around the threads and although I've stumbled upon a few posts about NYU's ITP and CMU's design programs, I haven't really found anything in depth regarding the program at IIT.

I am planning to apply, since the program and courses seem to float my boat, but the price tag seems pretty hefty. Also, since I don't have a design background, I think I'd need an extra year there for foundation classes. Which means about $50,000+ x 3 = $$$$$.

9 Sep 2011 - 12:18pm
+2
2 days ago
1 reply
liusquare

Really need some advice about Domus Academy in Italy, accepted by the IxD program

I'm  a web designer in US and I want to be an IX/UX designer and work in a company that values IX/UX.

9 Sep 2011 - 10:48am
2 years ago
1 reply
Terms:
Nate Kluth

In Need of Useful Resources

Hello,

This website is pretty great! I have recently become very interested in interactive design. I am interested in the way people use technology and the internet. 

I am studying Information Science and Technology in school, and that's about as close a degree as I could get. There is a Graphic Design program, but that is more on the actual Photoshop use etc, and would have taken me too long to complete anyways.

9 Sep 2011 - 9:40am
2 years ago
4 replies
Brett Christenson

Auto epand and collapse panels

Anyone have any experience using Auto expanding panels in web apps in order to gain screen real estate? I was thinking of something similar to pressing F11 in Firefox. This hides the browser controls and tabs unless user mouses over the top portion of the screen. I also find that the pin-able panels like in MS studio offers same advantage of allowing user to use available space to work by hiding less used panels. I have not seen many web apps that do this so I'm wondering if there is a good reason to avoid this model.

7 Sep 2011 - 1:37am
2 years ago
7 replies
Nikhil Palekar

Usability Testing for an E-learning course

Hi Everyone,

I have been wondering how to go about condusting a Usability Test for an e-learning course, considering the fact that we always do not have access to the end users/participants to see how the e-learning has made a defference at his work.

6 Sep 2011 - 4:30pm
Terms:
Austin Govella

[Local] IxD meetup in Houston, next Wed, Sep 14

We're having meet-n-greet for the inaugural meeting of the Houston Experience Design community. Come meet local interaction designers, social media mavens, and other user experience professionals.