Discussion Archive: October 2011

25 Oct 2011 - 1:04pm
+2
zakiwarfel

Sneak peak at a realtime, collaborative research and analytics app-launches next week

We're really excited to show a sneak peak at our real-time, collaborative, team-based decision app we're launching next week. We've been working on this app in stealth mode for a little over a year now. The app was designed for people who conduct UX research or are involved in product/service design. 

25 Oct 2011 - 11:02am
Terms:
lunytnz

Building your online site/portfolio all over again

If you were to do your professional site or online portfolio all over again, would you take the same approach? Would you use the same tools?

Would you use something like Google tools to simplify site development and maintenance?  Would you use Wordpress tools that have CMS and blog features built-in?  Would you build it from scratch (with HTML/CSS or Dreamweaver)?  Some other tool/approach?

What are some of the pros and cons you've experienced putting a site together to market yourself?

24 Oct 2011 - 3:17am
fataha

2 ACM Papers on Generation Y Interaction Design - Wei Liu

With Generation Y entering the workforce, for the first time IT supported tools at home are more advanced than these tools at work. This project aims to understand and model this friction and its challenges through a sequence of literature review and interviews. We identified six qualities of interactions and how they occur in private and work contexts.

23 Oct 2011 - 2:01pm
3 years ago
6 replies
Terms:
dmmillerdesigns

Designer Looking To Step It Up, Need Some Direction

Hi all. I am a graphic designer/ designer-still-in-training. I received my bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, minoring in multimedia design. In school I learned Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, and Indesign, all of which I still use frequently. I also learned some 3D modeling and texturing through Maya. Since graduating I have done some freelancing, mainly web graphics and logos.

21 Oct 2011 - 12:24am
2 years ago
1 reply
ruwanego

Essential readings (research papers, books, articles) in HCI history

I am new to the field of HCI. I need to get a grip on basic concepts, theories and fundamentals in the field of HCI. Can you suggest me some readings that influenced the advancement of HCI throughout the history? (readings I can get a thorough understanding of basic building blocks of HCI). They can be anything from research papers to books to informal write-ups. Thank You!

19 Oct 2011 - 5:47pm
3 years ago
1 reply
sallensea

PDX-UX User Group Meeting in Portland, Oregon

Normal 0 false false false EN-US

19 Oct 2011 - 2:09pm
3 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
alotofmath

User experience and research-oriented sites

Hi,

I find the library world to be one in which user-experience has yet to establish itself. I have understood the problem, I think, but have yet to find a solution.

The basic problem is this:

• A (novice) student user is assigned some research topic; they go to the library site, and are not sure where to begin.
  • An (experienced) researcher (graduate student or faculty member) know what they want, exactly, or have a good sense of how to start their research.

19 Oct 2011 - 12:23pm
Rez

Mobile Widgets

Hi all,

Has anyone come across any benchmarking around mobile widgets (Android, WP7, RIM) or is this an under-explored terrain?

I'm aware of UI guidelines such as the Android one, however I'm particularly interested in interactions happening within the widget space itself.

Any insight or links would be appreciated.

Thanks ~ j

19 Oct 2011 - 12:52am
3 years ago
5 replies
Soo Basu

Fireworks CS5

Hi,

I've been using Fireworks CS5 and just moved to Lion. I find that on every launch, FW opens all the files that I was using in my last session. Is there any way to turn this off? I've checked the Preferences and Google also the forums on help.adobe.com. any clues?

//Soo

17 Oct 2011 - 2:18pm
3 years ago
1 reply
abloodworth