Discussion Archive: October 2011

12 Oct 2011 - 4:22am
2 years ago
21 replies
ptamzz

Why do designers prefer Mac instead of Windows

Why do designers prefer a Mac instead of the Windows platform?

Probably it is an old topic but I still need to know. I've read substantial amount of blogs, comparisions and write ups on this topic and most of them says there are no big differences between working on a Mac and working on a Windows based PC. However, as I look for universities and colleges across the US which offers Design degrees, especially Interaction Design and Media Arts, almost all of them ask the student to get their own Mac systems.

So please share your views on this.

11 Oct 2011 - 10:42am
Terms:
uxmovement

Hover Menus Cause Many Problems

There are many large, high-traffic sites today that use hover menus. It has become the default navigation scheme to use because it's the only scheme most designers can think of when designing large sites with a lot of content. What many don't know is that there are a lot of usability issues with hover menus. 

10 Oct 2011 - 4:44pm
jonesabi

{EVENT} Real-time's Impact on Place and The UX of Mobile Gaming

Join us for an evening of live-maps, location-based services, and the user experience of games.

10 Oct 2011 - 1:20pm
Austin Govella

[LOCAL] Houston Design Workshop tomorrow, Tue, Oct 11

Just a reminder: tomorrow is Houston UX's second event, a presentation and workshop on implementing design critiques. In addition to learning how to run critiques, we'll look at how to make critiques apart of your organization's culture.

We've also invited local startups, entrpreneurs, and app developers, so they can learn how to measure and learn from what they've built. As a plus, UX folks will get the chance to meet lots of local folks who might need UX talent, but not know who to reach out to.

9 Oct 2011 - 7:28am
2 years ago
2 replies
Terms:
jadeefruit

Ph.D in UX related field (e.g. HCI) - Wil it be helpful enough as investment?

How do you think about Ph.D in UX related field (e.g. HCI or Interaction Design)?

There are many discussions going around in academia but some professionals has complained that the researches are not useful enough to apply to the working process for real products. They argues that the academia cannot lead the innovation for the next 5~10+ years any longer, and that sometimes they are even behind the industrial world. 

9 Oct 2011 - 12:32am
30 weeks ago
3 replies
manasmdk

Interaction Design at Domus Academy or CIID?

I am in a dilemma and hoping to get some help here. I have graduated as an industrial designer in June 2011 and had applied to Masters in interaction design program at Ivrea (which is under Domus Academy, Milan now) and Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design (CIID). I have been accepted in both the institutes for masters course starting in January 2012 and I chose to attend the course at Domus Academy.

8 Oct 2011 - 8:28pm
rajeshdesign

Call for participation in UPA 2012 International Conference @LAS VEGAS

The Usability Professionals Association International Conference 2012 is open for submissions till October 24th, 2011.

http://www.usabilityprofessionals.org/conference/2012/submissions/

"Leadership" is next year conference theme. It is your chance to be a presenter at international conference. Do not miss this chance. Hurry up!

8 Oct 2011 - 12:40pm
2 years ago
1 reply
zakiwarfel

A new app for collecting and analyzing qualitative data [Product Launch Announcement]

If you do any type of qualitative research, you're going to want to check out this app.

7 Oct 2011 - 7:16am
2 years ago
10 replies
Gabriel White

Examples of great multi-device applications / service?

I want to put together a set of examples of software and services that are great, interesting (or even plain bad) examples of how to offer a product or service that spans multiple devices / form factors.

Some of the things I've thought of so far include:

• Evernote
  • Dropbox
  • iTunes

Got any examples that come to mind of great (and awful) multi-platform experiences?

Cheers,

Gabe

6 Oct 2011 - 9:24am
ixdajimmyd

8th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition (C&C 2011)

Dear colleagues,

In this last call for participation in the 8th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition (C&C 2011), we cordially invite you to join us at the beautiful High Museum of Art in Atlanta, USA, from November 3-6, 2011.

Conference: Creativity & Cognition 2011
Conference dates: November 3-6, 2011