Discussion Archive: November 2011

21 Nov 2011 - 3:34pm
Carolyn Chandler

[IxDA] 12 Week Web Design Course - Chicago

Hi all,

I wanted to let folks know about a new course in Web Design in Chicago through Code Academy. This is a 12 week, intensive course that will cover design research, the basics of business and user modeling, iterative conceptual design and detailed design using a variety of tools including prototyping via HTML/CSS. The program starts January 9th and is held in person in Chicago.

Design classes will be held in the afternoon; there are development classes held in the morning, and we're structuring the program to allow for plenty of interaction between students of both.

19 Nov 2011 - 3:14am
theSidewalkSociety

Tools vs. Platforms

Hello to all in the Forum! I have been an UI/UX designer for two years in Germany. I am now based in London studying Computing and Social Media.

For my own research practice I wanted to start a discussion on the conceptual models, current ideas regarding the design of 'platforms' vs. 'tools' for users or for social media.

Are these concepts changing? Think about this also in terms of desktop computers, or mobile devices..

18 Nov 2011 - 8:39am
2 years ago
2 replies
Atul N Joshi

(Training-India) Design Incubator’s User Experience Design Training – 2012 (Pune, Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Chennai)

Dear friends,

Design Incubator R&D Labs is conducting a Three Day Limited Edition Combo Course on Fundamentals of UXD, Advanced Information Architecture, Advanced Interaction Design and Interface Visualization in different cities in India.

15 Nov 2011 - 10:18am
3 years ago
2 replies
sajhd

Smart Phones used as Computers

Hi all,

I am delighted to have joined this association and hope I can learn from everyone’s experiences and expertise and hopefully one day be able to contribute myself :)

I am currently studying for an MA at the Nottingham Trent University and investigating the use of mobile phones as computers. My research is at an early stage at the moment.

14 Nov 2011 - 2:15am
3 years ago
2 replies
Terms:
Miha Feus

ISCED classification of Interaction design

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to categorize and classify Interaction design in ISCED (International Standard Classification of Education)?

I was denied the possibility to get a scholarship for studying abroad, because they categorized Interaction design as art, and they don't give any art scholarships. But on the other hand they categorized Industrial design as Technical education. I have still 11 days left to appeal against their decision. 

I am really thankful for any nugget of information.

13 Nov 2011 - 11:08pm
keyur sorathia

online resource on design and crafts

Dear All,

Three premier institution Industrial Design Center (IDC)-Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) -Bombay, Department of Design (DoD)-Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) -Guwahati and National Institute of Design (NID) jointly is working on a project called "E-kalpa- Creating digital learning environment on design education in India".

11 Nov 2011 - 4:17pm
itslivingproof

Designing for devices like an ATM, cable top box, etc?

Right now I work for a consulting company designing (ux, visual, front-end markup) e-commerce sites, custom applications, etc. I like what I do, but often think what I really want to be doing is designing on a larger scale. I would love to re-design an ATM interaction, or the on-screen cable guide you use every day.

My question is, how do you start to make this transition? I am young, self taught, and have thought on and off about going to graduate school for HCI. However, I'm not sure that is the right direction for the goals that I have. 

Any thoughts?

11 Nov 2011 - 10:19am
3 years ago
5 replies
Terms:
tdellaringa

Color meanings with regard to buttons: Opinions/research?

One problem that has continually surfaced in my recent work at my place of employment has been button colors. Specifically, little or no thought goes into the meaning of what color is being used for the button in regard to its functionality. Even worse, there is often no thought given to a consistent treatment of buttons across an interface.

So for example, I'll see save buttons that are red, and I'll see the same color being used for a save, change and exit button.