Discussion Archive: January 2012

24 Jan 2012 - 9:59am
2 years ago
11 replies
DrWex

Email to IXDA

Are you serious? Are you completely mental?

> One of the main sticking points for maintaining the IxDA.org platform has > been posting to the discussions via email. Email posting has caused > discussion threading issues, moderation issues, performance problems, and > often breaks and overloads the system. For all these reasons we've decided > to discontinue the ability to post to the forum via email and move to web > based posting only.

So rather than fix email, we'll just break it further so hey, come to our zippity do dah new Web site where you can post!

23 Jan 2012 - 4:00pm
2 years ago
7 replies
Terms:
Matt Nish-Lapidus

IxDA Website and Discussion Forum Updates Coming Soon

Hi IxDA members, friends, and discussion participants!

We're currently putting the final touches on an update to IxDA.org that is in some ways subtle, but has a few larger changes included. As we've all noticed over the last few years, some things about our current web platform work well and other haven't worked that well. The goal with the next release of IxDA.org is to fix some of these issues, make a few changes to functionality, and get us onto a new hosting and maintenance platform that will make all future updates much easier.

23 Jan 2012 - 2:45pm
+1
2 years ago
7 replies
DamonV

Audio mapping: "too near" and "too far"

Does anyone know of a good natural audio mapping for "too close" and "too far away"?

Users are using a laser scanning device to capture a 3D shape. The device functions well within a certain range distance from the shape, less so when getting closer or further away from it. The software should provides audio feedback to indicate where the user is in relation to the ideal distance.

23 Jan 2012 - 12:17pm
2 years ago
7 replies
Paul Pinkney

Tri-state Checkboxes

Has anyone performed any usability testing with tri-state checkboxes?  For clarity, by "tri-state", I mean the variety in which a single checkbox represents (a) everything (such as sub-checkboxes) selected (displayed as a checkmark inside a box), (b) partial selection (filled square or minus inside box), and (c) nothing selected (nothing in box).

I've attached an example from jsTree (thanks, Matt).

My gut tells me that this widget is confusing, because:

23 Jan 2012 - 8:08am
Jeff Gothelf

Agile UX NYC 2012 - registration open now!

Hey everone -

Agile UX NYC 2012 takes place on February 25th. It's a one-day, single track conference focused on taking a holistic look at user experience design in agile environments.

If this is something you've struggled to reconcile in your work, this event will help shed light on how to make significant strides towards greater integration, collaboration, productivity and success.

I hope to see you a bunch of you there!

www.agileuxnyc.com

[Jeff]

22 Jan 2012 - 2:18pm
2 years ago
1 reply
Kaleem

Interaction12 - Who wants my Early Bird discount rate ticket?

Hi everyone. I have to cancel my plans to be at Interaction 12. This is unfortunate for me after a year of planning for Dublin, but lucky for you if you waited to register: My ticket is yours at the 575 euro Early Bird discount rate (full conference rate is 650 euros).

Please email me or get in touch on Twitter: 
kaleemux (at) gmail (dot) com or @kaleemux.

20 Jan 2012 - 11:11am
uxjam

3 Days Left for IA Summit Early Bird + Full Program Announced

= On behalf of the IA Summit 2012 team - Apologies for cross-posting =

Earlier this week, the full schedule for this year's IA Summit was posted. If keynotes and workshops with some of the finest minds in cross-channel information architecture weren’t enough to convince you to join us in New Orleans, the complete program ought to do the trick.

Early bird rates are available until this Sunday, January 22nd at 11:59pm EST, so get 'em while they're hot!

20 Jan 2012 - 10:52am
2 years ago
9 replies
netwiz

Why would you do email verification for people who sign up?

We're having a debate about this.

You could do email verification so that there's something of an audit trail back to a person, but since anyone can set up a new hotmail or gmail at the drop of a hat, does that count for much?

You can do it so that you know it's a working email address, for data quality, although you could just delete non-verified accounts after a period of time.

19 Jan 2012 - 8:31pm
Lydia Anthony

Who's going to IA Summit 2012?

Hi y'all,

Brand new to the association, but I'm so glad to be here. I'm an MLIS student at USC who recently discovered my calling in UX/IA.

I just wanted to hook up with folks going to the IA Summit this year.

19 Jan 2012 - 9:26am
2 years ago
4 replies
BitterD

Does it make sense for me to go back to school for Cognitive Psychology?

I majored in Industrial Design and HCI but am interested in Cognitive Psychology, but after reading Don Norman's article about the flaw in design education, I think what he says makes sense in that a lot of designers end up as pixel pushers because they don't really know much about people and how they behave to be designing for them, so they end up focusing on visuals only, which further causes companies to think designers are there to make things "pretty" rather than solve problems.