Discussion Archive: January 2012

19 Jan 2012 - 12:05am
+1
Michal Kopec

Interested in Designer Founders stories? Back us on Kickstarter!

Designer Founders: stories by designers of tech startups, is a non-profit book of 35+ rare personal interviews with founders from various design backgrounds who have started companies like YouTube, FeedBurner, AirBnB, About.Me, Pinterest, TypeKit, Path and more listed here: http://designerfounders.com

yasser

Part-time/Flexible HCI/IxD courses

Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in interaction/UX design that I'd like to do this full time. After reading books like "About Face", "What makes them click", "Why we love or hate everyday things"..etc I started developing solutions for issues I had in mind, with the purpose of practicing design in general. 

To work in this field full time, I was advised to enroll in a program. However, I'd like to keep my full time job in Dublin while studying.

17 Jan 2012 - 4:19pm
Jan Jursa

New UX Podcast / IATV Radio

Hey there,

I am trying my luck as a podcaster ;) ... You can find out more about this crazy endeavor at http://iatvradio.blogspot.com (<strong>IATV Radio</strong>)

For show number 3 (probably recorded around January 28/29 I would love to talk to people who plan to attend interaction12 in Dublin and love/hate Dublin or have never been there before or locals who have some extra advice for travelers ...

Plz ping me if youd like to be on the show (via skype)

Cheers,
Jan

17 Jan 2012 - 2:01pm
Samuel Lee

Gesture Recognition - Designing for NUIs

When designing "apps" for gesture recognition, what is most appropriate to use? A UML User Flows or a Service Design Blueprint?

Any insight or suggestions are helpful!

Cheers,

Sam

17 Jan 2012 - 11:34am
fdcarmo

UX Course in USA.

Hello everybody,

I´ve been looking for some training and workshops available in usa for july, but as im not from the country, I cannot know which one is the best.

Im planing of use my hollidays at work and college to study in usa for 2 weeks something about user experience, design...

My goal on that is to increase my ux skills and also have a great resumè here in Brazil.

I really want to read some good answers and tips about what should I study about UX and where can I do the training.

17 Jan 2012 - 10:02am
+1
Terms:
Sean Pook

Graduate User Experience Designer vacancy - London - very rare

Hi Folks,

I know I'm breaking all the rules but hear me out. How many questions do we receive from graduates asking how to break into the industry - loads. I have a once in 2 or 3 year opportunity for a fresh graduate or someone up to two years in industry to join an existing User Experience team within a London based software consultancy. Salary will range from £25k to £33k GB sterling.

17 Jan 2012 - 6:15am
2 years ago
9 replies
netwiz

How are sites adapting to cater for iPad (or other tablets)?

Quite aside from developing apps - or webapps, iPads are accounting for a significant and growing proportion of traffic to websites through the browser. To optimise a site for both what you might call PC web and for tablets, there's more to it than just offering alternatives to Flash.

For example, 'clickable' areas should be defined as larger than normal to account for 'fat fingers'; text size should be reviewed; sites should define input fields as e.g. 'search' or 'email address' so that the appropriate keyboard displays on the device.

16 Jan 2012 - 8:05pm
2 years ago
5 replies
Mathew Sanders

What is your dream IxD software setup?

I'm joining a new startup in 2 weeks (yay!) and have been asked to choose (within limits) what software I want to use, what would you choose and why?

I'm used to sketching in pen+paper then moving to hig- fidelity wireframes with omnigraffle but I'm thinking of adding Adobe Catalyst to the mix (to prototype rich interactions & transitions) and Fireworks for production graphics (buttons etc) which since it's a start up I will also be responsible.

What would you choose, and why?

16 Jan 2012 - 4:42pm
2 years ago
14 replies
digikev

What UX implications should I be aware of when designing an enterprise website/intranet on SharePoint

We are currently weighing up the for-and-against in relation to whether to use SharePoint or an arguably better suited 

16 Jan 2012 - 12:50pm
2 years ago
7 replies
ldragoman

Remote Usability Testing on an iPad

Hello,

Does anyone have suggestions for tools that could be used to moderate remote usability tests on an iPad? We have built a prototype via Axure and would like our participants to use the prototype in the context of their everyday. Most remote usability methods I've seen for iPads are pretty clunky – they require a screen share with another computer or hugging a laptop with a webcam, etc. Is there a simpler way to perform moderated, remote usability tests on an iPad?

Thanks for your insight! 

– Liana