Discussion Archive: February 2012

12 Feb 2012 - 8:00pm
2 years ago
11 replies
jtauber

Why not shift to 1200px minimum desktop/laptop screen resolution

Hi guys,

I've just been asked whether there's a downside to moving to 1200px as the minimum desktop/laptop screen resolution we design for.

As far as I can tell, there are two downsides:

• iPad browsers in landscape mode will be forced to zoom out to fit the content within the screen
  • Some laptops will be forced into horizontal

What proportion of laptop users? I don't know. I've tried to search for statistics on laptop screen resolutions, without success.

Are there any other segments or gotchas we should keep in mind?

12 Feb 2012 - 12:41am
+1
2 years ago
6 replies
Steve Baty

A philosophy of interaction design - conceptual framework behind Interaction|12

When planning the programme for Interaction|12 we started by setting forth a philosophy or conceptual framework for interaction design, as a way of helping to structure the content and ensure an overall coherent 'story'. I thought it might be of interest to the community. 

11 Feb 2012 - 7:39pm
2 years ago
1 reply
daiv.fleming

Web accessibility standards in China

Is anyone familiar with Web Accessibility Standards in China? Is there a central set of standards that China has agreed to? Is there any agreement or effort to adhere to the W3C guidelines?

I'm doing some research on web accesibility standards globally, and would appreciate any information you could share. Thanks in advance for your help and time.

Dave, Sr. UX Analyst

11 Feb 2012 - 11:50am
2 years ago
1 reply
k lenox

OPEN CALL: Regional Coordinator nominations for European and African regions

IxDA is now accepting Regional Coordinator nominations for the European and African regions.  Nominations, for yourself or for others you think would be an excellent community leader should apply, will be accepted until Sunday, February 26, 2012, at 11:59 pm GMT.

http://tinyurl.com/RCNomination2012

11 Feb 2012 - 10:21am
2 years ago
5 replies
csulok

"got used to" - research or studies

Hi

At my work we're gearing up to rebuilding one of our major applications to support new platforms, mobile, etc... The current solution has more than a decade of work in it, and with it, more than a decade of solutions that are suboptimal, out of time, or simply bad.

I have a really big fear that we won't be successful at fixing these and delivering needed changes, because sales/management stops us because "the user got used to that solution, dont do this".

Louis Rosenfeld

UX workshops in Mountain View, NYC, Washington DC

Hi all, sorry for the cross-duplication--just my once-a-season plug for Rosenfeld Media's upcoming UX workshop series (http://rosenfeldmedia.com/workshops/ ). As always, they're very practical and engaging, with lots of hands-on exercises, and intimate (typically capped at 50 per workshop). This season we've assembled an amazing line-up of day-long workshops and  instructors:

9 Feb 2012 - 5:20pm
2 weeks ago
1 reply
JasonAlexander

Is hiring picking up where you are?

I have recently been getting more employment traction than I have ever had before.  I was wondering if you are experiencing the same?  I am currently in the NYC area.

Is there any implications for this increase in hiring?  I was just contacted by a recruiter for several mid-west opportunities at the same agency, willing to do a fly-in-fly-out contracting arragement.  I am actively interviewing locally, but I do want to explore all avenues.

9 Feb 2012 - 3:26pm
2 years ago
2 replies
ABeaverhousen

Save vs Save and Close in a web app

I have just returned from a parental leave and have discovered that my team has implemented a 'Save, Submit, Ok, Close' button group on windows. The apparent logic behind the decision was that the Product Manager did not like that clicking 'Save' also closed the window. So currently, the 'Save' button saves the info and provides some text indicating such. 'Submit',  closes the window and changes the status of the form, 'Ok', saves & closes and 'Cancel' closes without saving.

Mekayla

Advice for kicking off an online community for engagement?

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on how to engage a small group of people to be active (asking questions and answering others') in an online community of people going through a similar experience (in this case, pregnancy). 

9 Feb 2012 - 4:43am
2 years ago
5 replies
Henri Huttunen

Designing for end-users you don't have access to

Any practical tips on how to design in a user-centered manner for a part of your user base you just cannot get more than second-hand accounts for?

In addition to second-hand accounts we of course have access to event logs that record user behavior, but this tracking cannot be tied to a this elusive user group with any reliable accuracy (i.e. we know they're there, we just don't know which ones they are).