Discussion Archive: February 2012

pindiespace

Sustainable web design, sustainable virtual design - Looking for commentary and collaborators

Hi, this is Pete Markiewicz, a web/interactive design instructor in Los Angeles.

I'm currently exploring the idea of ongoing conversion of physical design to virtual services. This is dematerialization - one of the features of sustainable design articulated by Nathan Shedroff in his great book "Design is the Problem: The Future of Design Must Be Sustainable".  

1 Feb 2012 - 6:23pm
benwa

Powerful document trees?

I'm looking for examples of navigating through 2-2,000 documents that are more elegant + powerful than the stereotypical document tree… but also has research backing it would be nice.

Currently the documents are arranged by

- Category
  - Sub Category
    - Documents (1-100 pagers)
      - Date

Christopher Rider

BBC Sport redesign

Hey all, there's a great blog post about the relaunch of the BBC Sport website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2012/02/launching_bbc_sport_new.html

1 Feb 2012 - 4:21pm
2 years ago
4 replies
desiree mccrorey

The multiple faces of a complex business app

Tasked with designs that support porting a complex business desktop app to web and mobile platforms... well, to me it's obvious I will need to break down the desktop capabilities into useful bite-sized chunks that will support the various user goals, task flows, etc.

My expectation is,if the chunks are optimally structured (much easier said than done), then on the desktop, the user can choose to juggle one or more chunks (functions, utilities, tools) simultaneously. As the platforms get more constrained, the number of chunks and how they're made available is more constrained.

1 Feb 2012 - 2:32pm
2 years ago
1 reply
leslie242

Example Requested > App Map > Entry and Exit points diagram

Hey Guys,

I am currently working on a project that spans both web and mobile products. As part of this process, the UX team has create a high-level site map and individual feature flows. However, one of the developers on the mobile side is asking for an additional articifact; an "app map" or diagram focusing solely on entry and exitpoints thruout the entire application.

1 Feb 2012 - 9:26am
morville

IA Stories

On behalf of the IA Institute and World IA Day, I invite you to share your IA Stories...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/iastories/

...and perhaps win a prize :-)

Please spread the word. Thanks!

Peter Morville

1 Feb 2012 - 5:10am
William Hudson

February Update - UX, UCD and IA Courses in London, Brussels and Texas

(Apologies if you receive more than one of these.)

February Update – Agile, UX, UCD and IA Training Courses in London, Brussels and Texas