Discussion Archive: October 2012

9 Oct 2012 - 6:13pm
Zach Perkins

UX Un-Conference in San Francisco (FREE)

Are you a technical-industry professional from the bay area with experience or interest in user experience?  Please join the Salesforce User Experience team for Catalyst - our first-ever UX Design Unconference! 

9 Oct 2012 - 12:41pm
IxDA Interactio...

The Entries are In!

Thanks to everyone who submitted work to this year's Interaction Awards, and all who helped us spread the word over the past several weeks. This year's variety of projects from around the globe will really make our jury's job difficult!

7 Oct 2012 - 3:17pm
2 years ago
5 replies
Mia Kos

Homepage vs Dashboard customization

Hello, 

I'd love to hear some thoughts about customized Homepage vs customized Dashboard, as a starting point for different user types. Meaning homepage content is customized for new and returning visitors, while dashboard becomes a homepage for anybody who already has an account (registered, subscribed and expired users). Many examples of this, Facebook, Twitter, Couchsurfing... Still, some sites decide to use their homepage as a starting point for both logged in users and new visitors, Amazon and Airbnb, to name a few. 

6 Oct 2012 - 5:14pm
2 years ago
2 replies
tamella

hosting provider for design firm recommendations

Hello, 

I am looking for a new web hosting provider for my business site.  I currently use ipower but they put a limit on email storage. When your mail box is full they do not notify you.   I've had mails bouncing with no notification to me that my mail was getting close to the limit.  My mail fills pretty quickly as people are typically sending files without any notice to give them an alternative method for sending.  I'm looking for a hosting provider that does not limit the size of your mailbox.  

Any advice appreciated. 

marekp

Summary from MEX 2012

Members of the list might be interested in my initial summary from the 11th international MEX, held in London on 19th - 20th September, recapping ideas and mobile user experience insights:

http://www.mobileuserexperience.com/?p=2146

4 Oct 2012 - 2:06pm
2 years ago
3 replies
Brett Christenson

NULL values in charts/visualizations

Anyone know of standard conventions for displaying NULL values in visualizations like scatter plots? I am working to define this behavior for Scatter (bubble), Heat Grids and Geo Mapping visualizations but I cannot find any resources to help identify best practices. I was thinking that it would be good to indicate NULL because it may be an issue with getting data rather than no data value or if the values was actually zero. Example -  a Null value for the size by or color by value does not get returned for a point on a scatter chart.

4 Oct 2012 - 5:25am
2 years ago
1 reply
Bruno Figueiredo

UXLx: User Experience Lisbon 2013 - Discount Code for IxDA'ers

Just to let everyone know that UXLx is happening again in 2013, from May 15 to 17 in sunny Lisbon, Portugal and we have a discount code for fellow IxDA'ers.

2 Oct 2012 - 12:38pm
jimmy roman

Interactive Media Design Majors

I'm looking to get a Bachelor's degree in Interactive Media Design. I already have an Associates in Humanities/Social Sciences. Franklin University has a major but they're kind of a no name school. Does anyone know of a school that offers a program that is based on UI/UX? Thanks!

2 Oct 2012 - 4:27am
+2
2 years ago
3 replies
Ali Naqvi

Audiobooks from memos, presentations and even books.

Hello members,

I am about to make some research on an idea. Basically its an online company which wants to create audiobooks from memos, presentations and even books.

Why?  People have a need in the fast society to memorize presentations, etc. and dont have time to read in a car, packed public transportation etc. The audiobook will allow just that. There are computerized voices but they suck and cannot come close to an audiobook produced by a human.