Discussion Archive: December 2012

13 Dec 2012 - 12:44pm
2 years ago
2 replies
Lee Beckwith

Where can I get feedback on some interaction designs for a high tech medium, either without breaking NDA or with more exposure?

I work in a small high tech group at a R&D company. We are developing some interactive systems for a heads-up display, and I'm looking to get feedback on my design work. Basically our options right now are to publish to big academic conferences like CHI or UIST, or basically keep totally quiet. The problem is that our work is not JUST scientific or JUST academic, but also we have more visual and interactive design stuff that communities like CHI don't critique the same way that say a community on behance.net would criticize. 

13 Dec 2012 - 12:32pm
Louis Rosenfeld

ANN: 20% off on 2 new UX titles from Rosenfeld Media

(apologies for cross-posting)

Hi all; we've just published two new user experience books: Sara Wachter-Boettcher's Content Everywhere and Kevin Cheng's See What I Mean (details below). Buy them together directly from Rosenfeld Media before 1/1/13 and you'll get 20% off. UX stocking stuffer?

SEE WHAT I MEAN: HOW TO USE COMICS TO COMMUNICATE IDEAS
  by Kevin Cheng; foreword by Dan Roam
  Rosenfeld Media; December, 2012. 202 pages.

13 Dec 2012 - 9:28am
2 years ago
6 replies
Upasana1984

Switching from Industrial to Interaction Design

Hi All

I'm a newbie hereI.. I'm an Industrial Designer with a Masters degree in Industrial Design and 4-5 years of wok experience. For the past 2 years, I have been working on Packaging and Graphics design.. I have done a little bit of everything..

I have been thinking about switching to Interaction design.... But I think I am confused as where to start?? Should I be going for a formal Masters Degree in Interaction Design/ HCI.. opt for Certifications or Online Courses ?

12 Dec 2012 - 10:08pm
cc13-conference

ACM Creativity & Cognition 2013: Keynote Speakers Announced, Deadlines Extended, Award Announced

ACM SIGCHI Creativity and Cognition 2013
17th-20th June, 2013, Sydney, Australia.
University of Technology, Sydney
http://cc13.creativityandcognition.com
-- 2 Keynote Speakers Announced: Bill Verplank and Celine Latulipe
-- Deadlines for Papers & Posters Extended: New Deadline - 31 Dec 2012
-- Creativity and Cognition 2013 Award Announced

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS

We are very excited to announce two of the keynote speakers for ACM Creativity and Cognition 2013.

12 Dec 2012 - 2:03pm
+4
1 year ago
6 replies
mrettig

A film about interaction design: what it says about us

Hello. May I vent? {smile}

I just watched Basset & Partners' nicely-produced short film about interaction design, called "Connecting." You can watch it here on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/52861634.  It's well done, it's full of people I like and admire, and I'm glad it exists. *Thank you* to the people who made it and the people who paid for it.

But it pushes a button, so, this post....

11 Dec 2012 - 12:52pm
+1
Jeff Gothelf
10 Dec 2012 - 8:18pm
2 years ago
4 replies
Terms:
Elizabeth Bacon

Interaction13 "early bird" ticket up for grab

Hi folks,

Sadly, Interaction13 is not in the cards for me this year due to getting my new business, DHealth, off the ground. My "early bird" ticket, priced at $750 vs. the now-$950 general ticket, is up for grabs. Please get in touch with me at ixd (at) elizabethbacon (dot) com to make arrangements for purchase/transfer.

10 Dec 2012 - 5:42pm
IxDconf

What's new at Interaction13!

There will be 3 new formats to experience at Interaction13... a Pecha Kucha session, the Idea Market and Posters!

7 Dec 2012 - 4:39am
2 years ago
15 replies
chrizz

Accessibility; font size and color contrast

i'm looking for a tool (or information) regarding accessibility. of course i know the common tools and w3c pages. what i'm looking for is a way to check the combination of fontsize and color-contrast.

tools like Colour contrast Analyzer are nice and helpful, but  i'm absolutely sure contrast can be lower using  - for example -  helvetica/50px/bold instead of times/12px/light/italic.

6 Dec 2012 - 4:10pm
+1
IxDA Interactio...

2013 Interaction Awards: Winners Announced!

We’re pleased to announce the winners for the second annual Interaction Awards!